Saturday, November 28, 2009

Diving Boards and Shavers - Update #23

Life has a way of moving along even if you are not ready and or willing to come along; this is not our situation. We are willing participant yet it seems as if we have taken a little stop at the rest area and indulged in a little 'free coffee'. The stop was necessary for a washroom break, the coffee on the other hand was not, and in hindsight was actually kind of gross. What I am getting at with all of this is our time in the hospital prior to coming home has been necessary for the girls to develop fully, as well as give me time to complete the 'Honey Do' list. The coffee is all the other things that seem important at the time and later clearly reveal themselves as fruitless time wasters. Lesson learned, keep your eyes on the goal ahead, do not get side tracked by burnt, old, cheap coffee. What is your goal? What is your coffee?

Our girls continue to develop well. Both are putting on weight at a torrid pace, not childhood obesity fast, but getting a little chub is good at this point. One thing I learned this week is that a preemie's weight is not completely correlated to development. Example would be a baby born at a gestational age of 35 weeks at a birth weight of 4 lbs could be developmentally ahead of a 33 week baby born at 5.5lbs. This makes sense now as I look at it but is kind of different when you see other babies going home at just over five pounds and ours are basically almost 7lbs. I enjoy the time at the hospital in the evening, my duties include temperature taking, diaper changing, bathing whoevers turn it is that night, we alternate so mom gets some practice nursing the other. Whoever I bath, generally I feed a bottle to after as well.

Marika is now sans wires. Yep, she has been taken off all monitors. What a strange feeling it is. Have grown accustom to the green, yellow and blue lines on the computer screen. It was somewhat unsettling at first, but I knew she was ready. One step closer to home. Kyra is only a little behind, totally expected considering her frantic start to life. She will not be left behind though, we can already see a beautiful yet competitive friendship developing.

We are now at the time where the girls would have been born had Kyra's water not broken some 15 weeks ago. I have to remind myself now that they are still wee ones and not to 'over love' them. Playing patty cake with your 6 week old preemie is not an appropriate activity apparently. Sorry, you didn't buy that did you? I was kidding of course, I never did that, but gosh are they growing fast, it wont be long before I am tickling them so much we all wont be able to stop laughing. One thing I may be asking for for Christmas is a new shaver. Being close to the babies, Jo reminds me 'your rough'. With to which I respond, "I shaved this morning." Shaving twice in a day is not in the cards, so my apologies to my early morning clients as I may be a little scruffy until I can secure a new electric shaver to avoid the scrunchy face from the girls indicating my poikyness. Yes I made that word up so no need to correct me.

The nursery is done, save some cool wall decals that are currently in the design phase. I am excited about those. Otherwise, shelves are up, change table is in, and the cribs longingly await usage. As well I have also started to train our German Shepherd to smell the blankets of the girls and to be 'gentle' with them. He's so smart, I ask him to go and find one of the girls blankets that I have hidden in another room, and when he does he now gently pulls it off the shelf, or off of where it is and shows me it proudly, all without trying to rip it apart. I can see the makings of a fantastic relationship with him and those girls. I would hate to be anyone who was giving them trouble with him around.


Have you ever been up on the high diving board peering over the edge at the seemingly endless space between your shivering blue toes and the water below? It's your first time up to the high one and your scared, but also excited in a way you can't explain. This fear pulls you back a second; enough time to look out and see your friends playing in the pool below awaiting your entrance. Everyone having fun, splashing and yelling, seemingly without a care in the world. Meanwhile there's you, literally inches from diving into the deep end. Then that fear subsides just long enough for you to make one of the craziest jumps you'll ever make. Your falling, that fear its back.... its too late. All the noise disappears, you scramble, why is it taking so long to get back up... You arrive, gasp, and scramble to the side. Then that excitement overwhelms you as you realize you made it and it was probably one of the coolest things you have ever done. There is a strange tug that lures you to the stairs for another go, then we realize that we don't even have these two past their first Christmas yet.

Ryan

More pics in the morning....



MMM Smells good.

Dinner Time...

Chomp!

Back to snuggling.

4 comments:

  1. You may just have to put them in the same crib when they get home. Can't wait for them to come visit the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silent Night,
    Holy Night,
    All is Calm,
    All is Bright.
    Round yon Virgin Mother and Child,
    Holy Infant so tender and mild,
    Sleep in heavenly peace.
    Sleep in heavenly peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A.Where are the rest of those photos?...

    and

    B. You need to update your blog considering you're HOME now!!! Congrats!

    Big hugs to the girls! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete