Thursday, November 5, 2009

A reunion and the non smoking farse... - Update #21

Is it possible to have a reunion if you only have been apart for less than two weeks. I suppose it is if that time seemed more like years. Joanna lived two years in two weeks. That all being said when she went back to the hospital yesterday it was if those days of separation never existed. She has shaken the flu that she had and is now spending all the hours with our little ones that she can handle and more. It felt a little weird to be catching Jo up on "how to do things with the girls" and sharing with her all the little nuances that I have started to notice. It seemed like such a stereotypical role reversal, but in our case I just call it good teamwork.

Our house has settled somewhat; our pets are back home, our new tenants have moved in and most of the renos are done. I could tell things were moving in the right direction when Jo had baked muffins for the first time in months (the hospital didn't have an oven!)

Abbotsford hospital is a great place to people watch; big lobby, coffee shop, and every walk of life coming through the doors. I think though, the most intriguing thing I have found so far is the 'we are proud to be a no-smoking grounds/facility' placards all over the place. This is pretty much the biggest crock going. Now before I go further let me preface by saying I am a non smoker, I have never even had a toke of a cigarette, so I have no idea what addicts endure, I have nothing against people who do smoke, I just don't understand this situation. Another thing I don't know is why a big organization like the Fraser Health Authority would pronounce this to the world and clearly not even come close to enforcing it. Here's what I mean, as you walk up to the main entrance to the hospital there are several benches that are in the covered area within close proximity to the entrance. Every one of those benches are clearly marked 'no smoking here!' Without fail 7/10 times there is at least one person sitting there with there with a cigarette exhaling it within plain view of the signage and smelling up the entrance to the premier cancer treatment clinic in the lower mainland????? I guess that in a meeting somewhere or during a press conference the idea of smoke free was a good PR move but why basically invite smokers to sit and chimney it up right in front of the building in a covered area where all the smoke wafts over to where I walk in and out three plus times a day?? It's set up completely to fail. If they enforced that like they do the parking regulations..... never mind that's a whole 'nother entry.

The girls are doing very well and behaving as preemies should. They get tired easily and forget to take deep breaths. Mom with reasonable success has started to nurse and I have successfully fed each almost a full bottle. They seem to love being in the same crib together, it will be neat to see them grow and recognise each other more. They are both on the verge of crossing the 5lb barrier, that was last night so they may be over it as I write this. Their gains have been excellent in the last week, docs thought it prudent to add a dose of HMF (human milk fortifier) basically some extra calories and such. It has made a real difference. You can start to see some of their characteristics coming through as they fill out a touch. Kyra had her hemoglobin tested and was a touch low, her skin has been a bit pale for the last little while and subsequently has been put on a small dose of iron to help that perk up a bit. Bathing the girls has been interesting, Kyra doesn't much like the water so we have employed the swaddle while bathing method which seems to help. Marika conversely looks as if she is at the spa, she gently holds the side of the tub as I wash her, only near the end when she is more hungry than anything does she start to fuss.

As our little family comes together we are thankful for the prayers of many. This crazy coaster rolls on and now that I'm on, I never want to get off.

Ryan


Pics as promised.






5 comments:

  1. Hey guys! Always glad to read an update on the girls!! :) So cool to hear about their different personalities coming through. I love that part about having two kids - to see how they are the same, yet uniquely different as well.

    WOW! 5 lb already!! Just to put that into perspective okay... Jacob was 5 lb 13 oz when we brought him home, and that was at 42 weeks!! He likely had "intrauterine growth restriction", but still....those are fantastic sizes for where they are at!! Any word on when you can expect them home?

    We also did the swaddle in the bath tub - some babies just like it better that way huh. So Marika's into the spa already... so cute. :)

    Looking forward to seeing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful wonderful wonderful news!!!!!

    So glad that Jo is back with your babies, that is the best news i've heard all day.

    Totally with you on the whole smoking thing at the hospital, its totally mindboggling.

    Gotta run but i had to say wonderful news, can't wait to see the pics.

    Doug Jen and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how cute are those girls!!!! So good to hear you had your family reunion!!!!! They are growing and growing! Glad to hear your house is getting there! Enjoy the miracle of having children with all of the ups and downs! God is soooo good! I pray for many blessings! Love to you two and the girls! PS Did I tell you yet that I will be retiring at the end of this school year? Wilma Van Brummelen :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so super happy to see the pics !!

    everyday seems like a miracle !!

    you look amazing.. as do these little babes!

    the grim's send their love and prayers !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear that things are going well. Jo, my greatest wish when I come home is to come give you a big hug. I'm so proud to have you as a friend after reading Ryan's accounts of how you've braved through everything. I don't think I could have been so strong. Of course, I also can't wait to see the girls, but their health is more important than my impatience, of course. Love ya! PS the girls are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete