Monday, August 31, 2009

NICU and You - Update #4

After a slightly avoided/delayed appointment with the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) we managed to get our schedules to align. More mine than Jo's ;-) What an absolutely amazing place. We got to do the whole scrub up to your elbows like they do on tv thing before we went in, thats pretty much where the goofy grin that I normally carry around left my face. The scene was out of a Sci-Fi movie, more machines hooked up to lines and ultimately little ones that a person could take in at first glance. Quickly my shock transformed to awe. These machines and uber attentive nurses/doctors were on full alert keeping these vulnerable brand new beings alive and growing. As I wheeled Jo around almost bumping into computers and various other equipment because my full attention was not on driving; Jo would say that not much is different than when I am behind the wheel of the car. Our nurse/guide was very positive yet realistic. It was neat to see the quiet confidence that the staff walked around with, knowing that they are very good at what they do and they work at a top notch facility. I guess this is as good a place as any to mention how my attitude has shifted a little and my appreciation for socialized medicine was really galvanized. I don't mind in the slightest paying a little more tax to support the miracles that are going on at that place. Unfortunately taxes don't cover everything, so what better charity to give to? I have heard some really great stories this week of parents who have asked kids and families coming to birthday parties and in lieu of gifts everyone has donated to the Children's hospital. The child whose birthday it happens to be is given one slightly more significant gift rather than a ton of $10-$30 gifts.

As the days roll on, we have our ups and downs. This is to be expected, you just hope and pray that when you are in a valley you have the strength to keep looking up at the peak in order to stride on. Obviously me working both on the house and at the gym my mind can often stay distracted from the situation. What I pray for most is Joanna and her ability to know that the cause is worthy and for a peace that supersedes all doubt. Driving back and forth is the easy part, my respect for her fortitude in laying there is reaching epic proportions. That may sound like a bit of hyperbole, but in all honesty its probably even an understatement!

Please pray for Joanna's continued abilty to fight infection, today she has had to go back on a one week cycle of antibiotics, as a small infection has revealed itself on some tests. They aren't great for her digestive system and produce other less than desirable reactions thoughout, although if effective the ultimate goal of keeping babies inside longer term can be achieved.

I feel as if I am on the Grouse Grind for the very first time and having no idea what to expect, my place now would not quite be at the 1/4 mark and definitely suckin' wind, wondering why I am here. Obviously the metaphor breaks down a bit here but the point is the goal is worthy; seeing that view, breathing that air, holding those girls and walking through my front door.

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. thanks for another update, Ryan.I can't wait for the 4 of you to reach the goal of bringing your girls through your front door.

    hugs to you and yours as always,

    Jenn,Doug and Sarah Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you made me tear up at the end there... the NICU is a crazy place isn't it. I had the opportunity to visit my baby cousin in the NICU once a few years ago and it was a pretty surreal experience. I remember seeing babies that were the same size as my hand, from their head to their feet. The triplets I told you about the other week had a team of 10-15 doctors and nurses for EACH child attending to them when they were born - amazing!!!

    What a GREAT idea to give to the Childrens Hospital in lieu of birthday gifts. When we visited the other day I saw a young cancer patient drive by us and it just broke my heart. Jake's birthday is coming up and I had been wondering about how to avoid the pile of typical toys that he just does NOT need right now. I had been thinking of asking for books, but he's got plenty of those too... so Childrens charity it is!

    Joanna you are amazing! Been thinking about you lots today! Keep up the positive thoughts and keep that image alive of walking through your front door with your babies ~ I truly believe our thoughts are so powerful and God says to "Think on that which is beautiful"; so continue to cast away any doubt and believe!! Love you guys, lots of prayers always.

    ReplyDelete