Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Another week of elevators - Update #5

When you lay horizontal for weeks on end you become acutely aware of every little thing your body does, good or bad. The even worse part is there is very little one can do to distract oneself from it for long enough to forget it. This is the life my wife is living. Braxton Hicks, tight trapezius muscles, super active babies... the list goes on. None of which she probably would notice had she been preparing for another school year. Now this may sound like a pity cry, its not. The reason; the outcome. All of these minor occurrences will be a distant memory when both babies are wailing their heads off (simultaneously) for food or a new diaper or both. We'll soak in every moment and be thankful and tired, but thankful for every minute of our new life, crying or no crying.

Now your wondering why the title: '...elevators'. Well as some of you may know I have a few things that can get on my nerves. I am getting much better in most areas but others....not so much. Not for lack of effort though. One such thing that drives me nuts is the person waiting for the elevator, we've all encountered him/her. Basically the world is in their way. I am inside said elevator and patiently waiting to get off at one of two floors.(Remeber this point) As the doors slide open, at least 50% of the time I am greeted by one of these over zealous 'elevator waiters'. Ok, so there two floors in the hospital so one could deduce very quickly, hopefully in a single trip, that if someone is on the elevator when the door opens, 98+% of the time they are getting off. It is more than widely accepted protocal that individuals getting off the elevator has the right of way. So why am I greeted with this indignant look on their face as if they have been wronged, as we awkwardly pass each in the still opening door?

Crazy....my apologies for my rant, there are three ways to look at this either I'm off my rocker, we don't have much new to report on the baby front, or I have far too much time on my hands. A)Partially correct, B)Correct, C)Very False

As you are reading this we have reached 26 weeks today. Fantastic! Another milestone. Joanna is responding well to this round of antibiotics; what I mean is the small infection is not growing, although her upset stomach doesn't appreciate them much. Maybe this is a good time to mention that if you are planning on coming to visit Jo, please don't have a cold, the sniffles, a sore throat, the flu, or brown hair. Ok I was kidding on the last one, but Jo has slightly compromised immune system right now and I would be super appreciative if she didn't get sick.

Joanna received wheelchair privileges today. Before you all get excited and have visions of me peeling around the ward racing other ante-partum patients, she only gets 5 min. Basically enough time to relieve some of the tension in the previously mentioned trapezius muscles. (Upper back/lower neck, I'm a kinesiology grad; sorry...)

Please continue to pray that the fluid levels around baby 'a' continues to replenish, any infection goes away, and that Jo continues to feel His strength in an other wise helpless situation.

RD Captured Memories

That's a real nice couch.... oh yeah and mega hot pregnant wife!

Ryan.



P.S.
I think after writing this I will resolve to take the stairs, to avoid 'awkward elevator guy' altogether. I mean I am a personal trainer after all, seriously, c'mon, that's just lazy Ryan!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Ryan, this is great it's kinda intertaining, perhaps when this is over you might want to think about becoming a writer. Okay with that said I will continue to pray for you guys. I don't think I'll be coming to visit anytime soon though as Im coming down with something. All the best of the Lords blessings to you guys and babies
    xoxo
    Ali~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, you are a very good writer!! I'm glad things are going well. What a BEAUTIFUL photo of Joanna!!!!!!!! :) Is she allowed to take probiotics after the anti-biotics are done? That could help her feel better. I had to take anti-biotics when I was in labor cause I was GBS positive, and I took "Pearls" probiotics for a month afterwards and they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats a gorgeous picture of Joanna, i'm glad she's getting through this week well and yay to 26 weeks and wheelchair privelages. Picturing you doing wheelchair races made me laugh out loud.

    I totally get what you're saying about elevator guy, very annoying... So i highly suggest you taking the stairs.

    Hugs and love as always to the 4 of you from my family,

    Jenn,Doug and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! thanks for all the updates, I totally hear ya on 'elevator man' lol. You guys are always on my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, doesn't this all just beat "Marley and Me"? Of course, 'Marley' COULD just be one of the names the Jobs have chosen....

    Regarding the elevator guy. Well, Ryan, as experienced and adept as I am at human relations, I suggest one of three things (a) shoulder check him into the 6" abyss between the door and the floor (b)always carry two coffees, and offer him one, (c) grin at him with your irrepressible smile, and say 'thankyou' as you pass. It leaves him with the silent wonder of what he had just done right. Failing all of the above, I will consider him a marked man, and deal with him/her on my next visit.

    The photo Jo and the Babes is truly scrumdillicious. One of the prettiest bellies I have ever seen. I do hope you continue to make photographic moments documenting this journey. May seem like a bad idea most of the time (hey Jo....I DID deliver some mascara, but the nightie is up to you), but it is something I am sure the little gals will giggle about in the future.

    Not only that, but something (or Someone) tells me you are going to be more than the average role model for all the other parents that come after you! Maybe start with a shot of you and the elevator man.... :)

    Well, I am ready, willing and able to do a little trap massage next time I see you, Jo! Any therapeutic touch (healing touch...oddly, a non-touching thing) is also available. I will be sure to get clearance from my cousin (Nurse Practitioner for Pain Control at St Paul's for the last 20+yrs, & a wonderful Christian lady,too) as to what could be safely used for preggie ladies.

    Glad to hear you have wheelchair priviledges...would you like to borrow my sheepskin saddle cover?! (Reins and whip exgtra) 5 minutes isnt long, but the relief must be welcome. I still have visions of you trying to eat and drink on that rakish angle they keep you at, in bed.

    Time to go....thanks so much for your candid portrayal of your lives. You are truly special people!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were celebrating yesterday that you made it to 26 weeks... and, of course, we're still praying.

    Thanks for the light-hearted update, Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan,

    I love your blog... it is so inspirational to me right now. I didn't realize we were so close together in our expected due dates... I am just shy of being 28 weeks along and expect the baby to come on Dec. 1st! You do have a mega hot pregnant wife!! I would love to come take some photos of you and your beautiful family once you have settled in your new home. And I can make you a gourmet dinner at the same time. As far as elevators go, so true :)

    ~Jenny xo

    ReplyDelete